Hungry for more Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition campaigns? We’ve recently played through three more fantastic Custom Campaigns that we simply have to recommend, each of them scratching our itch for more single player, historic and story driven gameplay.
We love community-created content and the huge effect it has had on Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Over the years we’ve seen everything from visual enhancements, to entirely new Game Modes, and even fully fledged Custom Campaigns.
We’ve got another three Custom Campaign recommendations that have been created by our fantastic community, ready for your enjoyment. If you’ve never played a Custom Campaign before, we have all the details below on how you can install and start enjoying these fantastic community creations below.We’ve already suggested some Custom Campaigns in the past. For more recommendations click here! How To Install a Custom Campaign
- From the Main Menu, select the Gear Icon in the top right of the screen, near your profile icon. A new Menu will then appear, select the ‘Mods’ option.
- This will take you to the Mod Manager. From here at the top of the screen, select ‘Browse Mods’.
- Then on the right of the search bar, you have a drop-down menu you can click on to filter the type of mods being shown. Click the Campaigns option.
- Now you have a gigantic list of all the community created Custom Campaigns and scenarios available to be downloaded and played. You can sort these by clicking on the Name, Date Created, Last Updated or DL (Download) text. If you’re just getting started, we recommend sorting by DL.
- When you select a campaign, you’ll get a small description on the right of the screen. Once you’ve found a Campaign you like the description of, while you have it selected, click the Subscribe button at the bottom of your screen and it will begin downloading and installing.
- Once the Campaign has been downloaded and installed, which is indicated by a Tick next to the name, return to the Main Menu. Then select the Single Player option, the Campaigns option and then at the bottom of your screen you’ll see a button for Custom Campaigns.
- Click the Custom Campaigns button and a new menu will open up and you’ll be able to select your newly downloaded campaign. Click on the Select Campaign button, and you’re ready to go!
Now that you know how to install these campaigns, let’s look at some recommendations to get started having fun!
Tomislav By Hainaut183
From the ruins of Charlemagne’s Holy Roman Empire rises Croatia. Led by their brilliant and charismatic ruler Tomislav, the Croats quickly grow from a disorganized collection of primitive tribes into one of the mightiest empires of Southern Europe.
Featuring 6 fantastically creative campaign missions and a whole new civilization. Tomislav is a brilliant Custom Campaign that makes use of classic Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition gameplay, then twists it into it’s own special flavour, resulting in an absolutely fantastic gameplay experience.
- Don’t forget to download the recommended Tomislav Supplement mod to receive the intended and complete experience!
Willem Van Oranje by Shimakaze23
Follow the journey of William of Orange leading the Dutch Revolution against the Spanish Habsburgs. As one of the leaders of the Eighty Years’ War, he was the first ruler of the Dutch Republic. Under his leadership, the Netherlands pushed back Spanish rule and established the world’s first capitalist country, and the revolution he led was also the world’s first successful revolution.
Explore 6 beautifully crafted maps across 6 campaign missions filled with classic Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition build and destroy gameplay, with battles massive in scope! Escape ambushes, defeat armies and claim cities in this phenomenal Custom Campaign, which is sure to impress any fan of the franchise.Willem Van Oranje
Komnenos – The Byzantine Restoration by PhillySouljah
Can a dying empire be saved? The Roman Empire is collapsing, plagued by internal power struggles, rebellions, and foreign invasions. As Alexios Komnenos, seize the throne from a failed emperor, fight the Turks and Normans to expand your realm, and fend off pretenders and rebels with their own aspirations for your crown.
Though only a single scenario, the beautiful map design, creative objectives and personality make this a must play Custom Campaign. Manage your resources and army to strategically re-establish your empire all while defending from the multiple enemy’s you’ve made through your choices.
- We found there’s lots of surprises, ensure you save often!
Are you inspired? Now it’s time to start downloading and get playing!
Let us know which Custom Campaigns you’ve enjoyed the most and please leave a recommendation for others to try!