Mobile - Pre-Register
Release Date: Summer (June)
The more people who pre-order RuneScape, the more rewards will be unlocked for everyone! Goodies include an exclusive hairstyle, pet, teleport animation, sword, and armour PLUS a 7-day 50% XP Boost! Tell your friends and pre-order today!
|2||Crux Eqal Sword|
|3||Magic Leap Teleport Device|
|4||Scales Animated Pet|
|5||Crux Equal Armour|
|Bonus||7-day 50% XP Boost!|
- The Nomad image is the most effective way to make an impression which is why it is used.
- Beta-testers will still be able to access the rewards.
- Tutorial Island is long and linear, and mobile users aren't as resilient.
- Most mobile users drop out in the first 5 minutes.
- Davendale Tutorial takes 5-10 minutes to complete.
- As you are at sea headed to the main-land you spot trolls sailing to invade the island of Davendale.
- You warn the mayor who doesn't believe until the trolls have already invaded.
- You work to inspire the citizens of the village to fight back and drive the trolls out.
- The player has a concealed appearance to delay character creation to quickly get into gameplay.
- We introduce one mechanic at a time to prevent overwhelm and allow you to experiment with that mechanic.
- When ever we introduce a new HUD element, we draw your eye with motion. We also keep the UI tutorials short
- Runescape is more of a sandbox MMO than others, and we want to express that in the tutorial.
- Choose between combat and skilling to help inspire the citizens.
- The combat hud is concealed so you can focus on in-world health bars and effects.
- Combat is covered in detail in Burthorpe's tutorial segment.
- We frame the experience as a quest to express how Runescape's quests are different.
- It is not a quest and will NOT be on the quest list.
- Began work on the tutorial in November/December, put in-game February 22nd.
- We have user experience professionals in the team.
- We are creating modular components that can be applied to the base troll model.
Mobile Layout Changes
- Main focus is the log-in experience the users has (downloading, installing, and to this point and go from there)
- Lobby redesign with layout coming to mobile first.
- Everything is stretched to fit within full screen.
- Make it feel like you can tap everything and get to a place quickly.
- UI artist have updated the icons to improve clarity, readability, and retain ease of use for mobile users.
- Wanted to make sure the icons are Runescapey, and fit with the mobile theme.
- Icons can open/close menus.
- Take up as much of the screen as necessary without doing too much.
- Combined interfaces to make sure everything is easily accessible.
- The minimap is located at the bottom, allowing you to use your thumb for navigation.
- Chat states, currently being worked on, allow you to do your general chatting.
- Access the shop and purchase stuff in-game without needing to go to a website.
- Users can change language from their login screen rather than have to obey the language of your phone.
- Hopefully progress it to PC at some point.
|Will current beta testers be able to obtain rewards?||Yes, the rewards will be obtainable by everyone in June. We will show reward unlock progress from launch to release.|
|What other platforms will Runescape be coming to in the future?||We are not ready to talk about it yet.|
|Can we replay the Runescape tutorial?||We had it as a foundation, but in practice we haven't been able to support it since we use a default user state such as with UI.|
|Will we get mobile support for PCs with touchscreens?||It's a possibility we will look into, but we first need to nail the look/feel for mobile before we can determine what will fit into a PC environment.|
|Will it work on tablets that use the same store?||Yes, it may not work currently, but we are in the process of making sure it will work.|
|Will the Cypher outfit become an obtainable cosmetic?||Yes, the plan is it will be available from the wardrobe regardless of whether they've done the tutorial or not.|
|Can we open two menus at once (ie. minimap and inventory.)||Yes you can, it will redact some of the bottom portion of the inventory to allow you to fit the minimap.|
|Will it be possible to use quickchat on mobile?||Hopefully, it is something we will look into in the future.|