The second pre-release for Minecraft Java is now available. In this pre-release, we've upgraded the Java version that is bundled with the game, and the game now uses Java 17. Other than this, we've mostly been busy fixing bugs. Enjoy!
This update can also be found on minecraft.net.
Technical Changes in 1.18 Pre-release 2
Minecraft now uses Java version 17. If you are using a default setup the Launcher will download and install the correct version. If you are using a custom Java setup or a third-party launcher, you will need to ensure that your Java installation is version 17 or above.
Bugs fixed in 1.18 Pre-release 2
- MC-32813 - Floating water / lava above caves / cave carver doesn't update water
- MC-206303 - Minecarts have old textures on the bottom
- MC-217038 - Large dripstone structures can be generated outside the caves
- MC-217056 - Some high-speed particles lag/freeze the game
- MC-220061 - Painting back texture is mirrored
- MC-223917 - Goats on fire do not attempt to pathfind towards water
- MC-226689 - Albert Pastore's name is grey and improperly indented in the credits
- MC-227163 - Credits say ''IT Manager'' instead of ''IT Managers''
- MC-227204 - "Explore, dream, discover" quote no longer appears after new credits
- MC-227206 - Random names in the new credits use curly quotes/apostrophes
- MC-227231 - Steven Silvester's name is misspelt in the credits
- MC-227239 - In the credits, Elizabeth Batson's company name is improperly capitalized
- MC-227329 - The usage and punctuation of "Inc" is still inconsistent in the credits
- MC-231782 - Missing "(" in Frank Criscione credit
- MC-236756 - Biome-exclusive mob spawn rates are reduced
- MC-236858 - Seeds that spawn you in the middle of the ocean cause lag
- MC-237608 - Server address shown when connection fails during server startup
- MC-238049 - Passive mobs (cows, pigs, sheep, chickens) sometimes do not spawn
- MC-238076 - UpgradeData in chunk is not migrated to new world height
- MC-238375 - Crash and/or data corruption upon attempting to save a world with a world border center over 30 million blocks
- MC-238587 - Sprinting while flying into a block causes the screen to rapidly zoom in and out
- MC-239397 - Lava pockets generate in icebergs
- MC-239423 - Kumi Tanioka isn't under "Music composed by" in the credits
- MC-239856 - Upgrading old worlds causes vines to have the wrong block state
- MC-239857 - Fences, iron bars, and glass panes often use an incorrect block state after conversion
- MC-239884 - Water from old chunks don't properly propagate into new chunks
- MC-239899 - Connected redstone does not properly upgrade from older versions
- MC-240030 - Holes in worlds created in Alpha and Infdev below y=0 after conversion
- MC-240494 - Duplicated mineshafts with new cave generation
- MC-240507 - Mob Spawning in structures fails in pre-1.18 generated monuments/swamp huts/outposts
- MC-240570 - Biomes in old chunks are not copied to new caves below Y=0 when chunks are extended
- MC-240610 - "Allow Server Listings" option doesn't save its last setting
- MC-240783 - Powder snow does not reduce or negate fall damage
- MC-241111 - Some Mojang employees are not mentioned in the credits
- MC-241194 - Crash: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "ddm.a(cao, cps, java.util.Random, gh)" because the return value of "java.util.function.Supplier.get()" is null
- MC-241199 - Double chests have incorrect block states after upgrading old worlds
- MC-241208 - Powered buttons, pressure plates, and tripwire hooks remain powered forever after upgrading old worlds
- MC-241234 - Fossils get cut off at chunk borders
- MC-241413 - Floating water generates around ravines
Get the Pre-release
Snapshots & pre-releases are available for Minecraft Java Edition. To install the pre-release, open up the Minecraft Launcher and enable snapshots in the "Installations" tab.
Testing versions can corrupt your world, please backup and/or run them in a different folder from your main worlds.
Cross-platform server jar:
What else is new?
If you want to know what else is being added and changed in Part II of the Caves & Cliffs Update, check out the previous pre-release post.External link →