Hello and welcome once again to the Hopoo games Dev Thoughts!
I'm Jonathan the Hopoo Games community manager and it's my pleasure to introduce you to our latest game:Risk of Rain Returns. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1337520/
Risk of Rain Returns Risk of Rain Returns
is a remake of our original 2013 release Risk of Rain. For those of you unfamiliar with the original, Risk of Rain Returns
is a 2d multiplayer action platformer with roguelike elements. Stranded on a strange planet waves of alien monsters randomly spawn and attack you.
The strength of these enemies increases in difficulty as time passes so you have to balance between grabbing items to increase your power and racing through the multiple stages as fast as you can to stay ahead of the curve.
For those of you who are
familiar with Risk of Rain - don’t think this is just a lick of paint on an old classic - Risk of Rain Returns completely overhauls the original and introduces a ton of new content.
- Updated Codebase - We'll be able to continue to update and add to the game with features that weren't previously possible
- All Risk of Rain 1 content returning with glorious new HD pixel art
- Enhanced Audio - including updated SFX & Chris Christodoulou is returning for some additional music tracks!
- Countless rebalancing and gameplay tweaks - a smoother “gameplay feel” without losing that legendary Risk of Rain challenge
- New Survivors - more on these in a future Dev Thoughts!
- New Survivor Abilities - every character now has unlockable alternate abilities to customise your build!
- New Items - some returning from RoR2, some entirely new!
- New Enemies
- New Interactables
- New Stage Variants - even RoR1 veterans will have to explore again!
- Revamped Multiplayer - PC version is fully integrated into Steam - no more messing with router settings!!!
…and a huge amount more - Risk of Rain Returns
is a whole new game and an upgraded experience from the original Risk of Rain.
Between now and the to-be-announced release date I'll be doing regular Dev Thoughts updates to tell you more about our latest title, but before we go onto today's info I have some more great news to share.
Gearbox Acquisition of the Risk of Rain IP A few weeks ago Gearbox Entertainment purchased the Risk of Rain IP from Hopoo Games
Gearbox have been the trusted publisher of Risk of Rain 2 for many years now, they have a love for Risk of Rain that matches our own and are the best fit for taking the franchise into the future.Hopoo Games will remain the developer of the Gearbox-published Risk of Rain Returns, and Gearbox will both develop and publish potential future titles in the series.
Looking back on the development of Survivors of the Void, we’re proud of what we accomplished. It was our goal to deliver all our remaining content ideas in a meaningful way. Building it for all of you has been a dream come true. But we didn’t do it alone.
Our Risk of Rain 2 co-developer, Gearbox, created some of the most well-received content in the Survivors of the Void Expansion such as the stages like Aphelian Sanctuary and Siphoned Forest. They also made some of the coolest enemies in the game like Void Jailers.
We are ready to move on to new challenges and welcome the exciting and fresh ideas Gearbox will bring to Risk of Rain. Completing the console versions of Survivors of the Void remains a top priority for Gearbox, and we can't wait to see what the future brings for Risk of Rain with them at the helm! We know the IP is in excellent hands.
Thanks again for your support everyone! Make sure you’re following us on Twitter
for more info and tune in next time for even more info about Risk of Rain Returns!