As I’m sure most of you are aware, recent events within the Moderator team have made it necessary for us to discuss the future of the team, specifically in regards to u/TripleCharged and u/SleekVulpine as well as the position of Head Moderator of the subreddit.
Over the course of the day, all other Moderators have weighed in on the situation after hearing what both TripleCharged and SleekVulpine had to say and after discussing amongst ourselves, we have come to the following decisions:
- u/TripleCharged is going to hand over his role as head mod for the subreddit to the next most senior Moderator, u/beatlesboy67.
- TripleCharged is, however, going to stay on the team as a regular Moderator with no more power to make executive decisions on his own. We feel like most, if not all of the issues related to him all relate to the fact that he was the person exclusively in charge of the subreddit and not to his role as a moderator generally.
- All of us agree that from here on, we are going to take a more democratic approach to subreddit moderation with every Moderator having an equal vote in decisions.
- To prevent another “executive decision” from the new head moderator, beatlesboy gave a written guarantee that if it should ever be necessary, a unanimous vote of the mod team can outvote him and that the Admins can remove him if he does not comply. This is a solution that has been successfully used on other similar subreddits in the past to reduce the effective power of a 'Head Moderator'.
- u/SleekVulpine will not be added back to the Moderator team
- While all of us have expressed our disagreement with Triple removing her from the Moderator team without putting it to a vote or even talking to us about the issue first, this is an internal issue and should have been handled accordingly. All Moderators talked to SleekVulpine and she knew that we were not on Triple’s side in this matter so she could have let the team handle the situation
- The post she made about the issue did not only go against TripleCharged’s decision to remove her from the team and in favor of him stepping down as head mod. It was worded in a way that targeted TripleCharged as a person rather than a Moderator. Her removal is not related to TripleCharged or her relationship with him - we looked at both mods separately and both decisions were made separately. It wasn’t a choice between the two and their relationship had no effect on our decision.
- Furthermore, the reasons TripleCharged had for removing Sleek are not the same reasons that we as a moderator team have for not inviting her back.
- This also has nothing to do with SleekVulpine’s decision to post, people have a right to defend themselves. That being said, trust is a requirement for being on a moderator team, and a number of past events, which do not need to be made public, have damaged the trust the mod team has with her.
After HRX ends, we are going to talk about further changes to the Subreddit and also open a Feedback Form where the community can give input on what they feel is going well or what should change. We are going to be overall more transparent about things in the future.
It is perfectly okay to criticize moderators, however it is not okay to start a personal witchhunt against against a user of the subreddit.
I hope that everyone has a nice weekend and a lot of fun watching SWC play out. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask in this thread. All of us Moderators will be checking the comments and reply to your questions wherever possible.External link →