I started playing Anno 1800 in 2022 again.
I bought the newest seasons pass, dived in and played lots of sessions, around 40-50 hours on my one single player save game.
I had a great time! Seeing my citizens and cities prosper.
After advancing a lot, rebuilding my main-island, building on several islands in Africa, in the Arctic etc.
I booted up the game today and all my save games are set back to 2021.
Before completely panicking, I checked all the Save-slots, the local saves, looked at the cloud saves, then realizing it's just gone.
... Now ... I was completely panicking.
Either my Anno experience in 2022 was all a fever dream, or the game did really save my progress in between.
I double-checked my sanity through asking some friends, checks out I did play Anno 1800 a lot because I would not shut up about it.
So, I just have one big question: What the f**k happened to my save game?
Is that based on an update to the game or the Ubisoft connect?
Because I have not the slightest Idea what else could have happened, the only explanation I have here is that the Cloud did overwrite my save.
After losing so much, I gained other things: a lot of frustration and sadness.
Because I do not even know what happened, it is hard for me to find the motivation to start all over again, because it might happen again anytime.
Well I could save my save games manually after every play session but that, well, defeats the purpose of backups in the cloud in the first place.
That only leaves me with these questions:
- [censored] happened? (I need closure on this)
- Is there any possibility to get my save game back? (my local saves are now from 2021 and so are the two cloud-saves I see)
- Why me? (you do not have to answer that )
- What will happen to all my citizen in my lost save now? Are they fine? Are they cared for? Is Gasparov still mad at me?
- Is that some intentional thing to teach me a valuable lesson about not spending too much time with video games because in the end it doesn't really matter?