This week we wanted to talk a bit more about the heroes in Artifact. These have been viewed as one of the strengths in the original game, but also as one of the missed opportunities. The most common concerns we hear are about underwhelming signature cards, lack of abilities, or heroes that fictionally don’t fit with their kit.
Our philosophy this time around is different, so we’d like to go over some of the factors we use when evaluating hero designs.
- All heroes should have at least one ability.
- You should be excited to draw a hero’s signature cards.
- Signature cards should avoid being situational.
- Signature cards should generally be at their best when their corresponding hero uses them.
- Bonus if a hero has a small self-synergy.